Friday 31 December 2010

Writer Revealed Book Awards 2010

This is a completely biased list, based on the books I read in 2010, and based on only my opinion. And I am lumping various sub-genres together under their main category (i.e. all kinds of Fantasy go under Fantasy)


Best Classic
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Best Crime
Execution Dock - Anne Perry

Best Fantasy
Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman

Best Mainstream
Love Story - Erich Segal

Best Memoir
The Diary of a Young Girl - Anne Frank

Best Science/Psychology
Proust was a Neuroscientist - Jonah Lehrer

Best Science Fiction - It's a TIE
Journey Into Space - Toby Litt
Fountains of Paradise - Arthur C. Clarke

Book Abandoned
I don't make a habit of abandoning half-read books, and I don't list them on my book list, because if it is not finished, it doesn't count as read. But I wanted to keep track of the ones I abandoned, and why.


Next - Michael Crichton (at about page 150).
This had a good premise. I really would have liked to read this story, and if it was a movie, I would have enjoyed it. But the writing was just a torture. I get it that we need more than usual amount of exposition for science-heavy subjects, but this goes beyond torture, and a lot of it quite frankly was unnecessary. A thriller is supposed to be...well...thrilling. You shouldn't be able to put it down. It should be fast paced read, not something that makes you feel like you are sitting in a science class with a droning teacher. So I finally gave up.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, cool! :-)

    I've not read any of those. I'm a little to narrow in my reading selection these days. ;)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "Best of" list is such a great idea!

    I enjoyed Anansi Boys much more than American Gods, but my favourite Neil Gaiman is still Neverwhere.

    Good choices - I look forward to seeing your list for next year!

    ReplyDelete