Thursday 4 February 2010

Three Stages of the Writing Process

I have been writing for a good few years, and I have written several books left at various stages from outlines to second or even third drafts. But it was only since last year that I got serious about taking writing as a career and not just a vague dream or a hobby. So since last year, I have been examining my processes, and trying to find what works for me. When I was writing my first draft of this book last November for NaNo2009, I had a pretty solid plan in mind. Finish the book, edit for two-three months, start submitting. Solid plan. Or not, as it turned out. While I was getting frustrated with POV decision and daunted by editing, I realised that deadlines are meaningless if they don’t produce good result; they are also meaningless if they are unrealistic. That’s when I started to think consciously about the whole process of writing a book, from thinking of an idea to finish the final edits and polish and declaring it ready for submission. That brings me to… Three Stages of the Writing Process 1. brainstorming / outlining 2. writing 3. editing This will be a three part post starting tomorrow where I will talk about these three stages, as I see them. I hope you will find something useful in them, and I look forward to hearing your opinions/experiences about these three stages as you see them. Disclaimer: All opinions and views are subject to change with experience.

5 comments:

  1. "Or not..."

    Yeah, me too, obviously. Ugh.

    Looking forward to your posts on these...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamie,

    Yeah, I just wanted to take time to write them properly, so thought better not rush it, or they probably won't make sense :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I thought this process would be a bit quicker myself... LOL Good stories take time :o) Looking forward to the posts :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. For me, the brainstorming/outlining and writing stages take a fraction of the time the editing stage does.

    I'll really be looking forward to your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can't rush the editing, however tempting it is to declare a book "finished".

    ReplyDelete