Monday 28 March 2011

Book Meme

I got this meme from Nofretiri, and since it's all about books, I simply could not resist. Feel free to take it for your all blog. 

1. Hardback, trade paperback or mass market paperback?
I have no problems with any of the format, but overall, I think trade paperback. It has the quality of a hard-back, but is still lighter and easier to handle. Mind you, I think nothing of carrying around a 1000 page book with me on daily commute, so I am really not fussed much even if it is hardback. Like them all. 

2. Barnes & Noble or Borders?
Overall - definitely Barns and Noble. But in UK, there is no Barns and Noble, so between UK shops of Waterstones and W.H. Smith against Borders - Borders was definitely better (I am also biased because Borders has Starbucks, whereas Waterstones and W.H. Smith have Costa Coffee). But now Borders have closed / are closing, so left with Waterstones. 

3. Bookmarks or dog-ear?
Dog-ears? You should be punished for crime against books. Besides, what am I going to do with my huge collection of bookmarks if I dog-ear my books?

4. Amazon or brick-and-mortar?
Both. And Book Depository which I now use more than Amazon

5. Alphabetize by author, by title or randomize?
If/When I have the library room I dream of, with floor to ceiling shelves, it will be perfectly organised, by genre, and within each genre, alphabetized by author, and within each author in the order of the series where applicable, or if not series, then alphabetized by their book titles or chronological by published date. (but I haven't really thought about this much yet).

In current situation, I have a system...but only I understand it, so can't possibly explain it. 

6. Keep, throw away or sell?
Keep. Keep. Keep. 

7. Keep dust jacket or remove it?
If the book came with it, keep it. 

8. Short story or novel?
Novel

9. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket?
I have no idea what Lemony Snicket is, so Harry Potter

10. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?
Stop reading when I absolutely have to walk inside the day-job, or when I absolutely have to stop due to reasons like must go to bed (which actually happens long after I should already have been in bed)

11. "It was a dark and stormy night" or "Once upon a time"?
Both

12. Buy or borrow?
Buy. I do not lend, and therefore I do not borrow. Except from Library, because I have to do my bit to support the libraries. 

13. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendations or browse?
Browsing comes on top. Book reviews and recommendations - I would consider them, but final decision is based on my opinion / feeling alone. 

14. Tidy ending or cliffhanger?
Tidy endings. Even if it's a series, there is no excuse not to have at least reasonably tidy ending for that particular book. When I read a book, I want to feel by the end that I have made a journey. I do not want to feel that the damn bus broke down and I am in the middle of nowhere. 

15. Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?
All time reading

16. Stand alone or series?
Both. It's the stories that matter. 

17. Favorite series?
Blood Jewels Trilogy - Anne Bishop
Harry Potter - J. K. Rowling
In Death - J. D. Robb
His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
Artemis Fowl - Eoin Colfer 
Kushiel's Trilogy - Jacqueline Carey

I am sure there are plenty of others that I cannot remember at the moment. 

18. Favorite children’s book?
Harry Potter series

19. Favorite YA book?
Artemis Fowl

20. Favorite book of which no one else has heard of?
Proust was a Neuroscientist - Jonah Lehrer (non-fiction)

21. Favorite books read last year?

22. Favorite books of all time?
Too many to count.

23. What are you reading right now?
Christopher Isherwood Diaries Volume 1

24. What are you reading next?
Not sure. Too many options at the moment. 

25. Favorite book to recommend to an 11-year-old?
Harry Potter series. Artemis Fowl series. 

26. Favorite book to re-read?
Jane Austen books, particular Persuasion and Pride and Prejudice. Harry Potter series. Blood Jewels Trilogy by Anne Bishop. Virginia Woolf's writer's diary. Anne Frank's diary. The Book Thief. In Death series by J. D. Robb.... I could go on and on and on

27. Do you ever smell books?
Absolutely!! Especially if a huge box of books arrives. 

28. Do you ever read primary source documents, like letters or diaries?
Yes. I love them, especially diaries. Currently reading Christopher Isherwood Diaries Volume 1. It's over 1000 pages long, and I am so fascinated. Another book I have got going on the side is 800 years of Women's Letters - collection of letters from women throughout time from all different backgrounds on different topics. Anne Frank's diary is a must of course.

5 comments:

  1. All time reading - you are a woman after my own heart :)

    And looking at what you like, I strongly recommend "A Most Improper Magick" by Stephanie Burgis, if I haven't already (I probably have, I recommend it to anyone who likes YA fantasy AND Jane Austen ;) )

    Love

    Joey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that's great that you continue the Book Meme Chain! :-)

    I just wonder, it doesn't sound, that you use plain pieces of paper - what do you use as bookmarks? Special ones like your journals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good answers Dolly!

    I've got a collection of bookmarks too. If I don't have a bookmark handy I'll use a torn off piece of paper, a tissue, anything that comes to hand. There is NO excuse for dog-earring a page.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joey,

    Thanks. I will definitely add Staphanie Burgis book to my neverending list :-)


    Karin,

    I have lots of bookmarks - some were presents from people, others I bought, and lots of free ones that came with books as well. So yes, I don't really use plain pieces of paper, except in emergency.


    Carol,

    I almost have bookmark handy, and if not, then I inevitably have a post-it handy, or a receipt. But at the first chance I get, I always go for a proper bookmark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I really like this tag; I am planning on using/tweaking a few of these questions for my blog party in June. (I have a book blog; I don't know if you knew or not. ;)

    ReplyDelete