Saturday 6 March 2010

Daily Edit - Tried it?

Finding out what my writer likes is bit like shopping for clothes. Clothes may look great in the shop, but unless you try it, can't be sure if they are just right for you. Just like that, different methods of writing, editing, planning may sound great, but because my inner writer only gives opinion after the fact, I have to provide her with the options so she can tell me what she liked, what she didn't like, and what she loved.

This is all part of discovering the way I work - unless I try new things, I might settle for something that works fine, and miss out on something that may work even better. So settling is a no-no.

So the next experiment I am planning is that with my next WIP, I intend to try daily edit. Write new words, then review them next day, before writing the new words. I don't know whether this will work, because I am concerned that inner editor might want a total control and may never move on - but it's worth an experiment, if it will give me even stronger first draft.

Do any of you do this? Does it work for you?

6 comments:

  1. I read from somewhere that Mary Higgins Clark does this. She writes a couple of pages and then reviews them the next day. I might try this method myself. Cool post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let us know how it goes! :D

    Personally, I write my first draft while trying not to think about the editing, as I find that if I worry about edits, I experiment less.


    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to do it that way, which is why I never made any real progress with my writing. I spent too much time editing the same things over and over again.

    Now I like to get the entire draft done before I start editing it. This is one of the reasons I always have more than one project on the go. If I feel like editing, I'll edit one of my finished drafts. If I'm in the mood for new words, I'll work on one of my drafts in progress.

    I'll be very interested in seeing how this experiment works for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Camryn,

    Thanks for stopping by :-) I've always been concerned about editing/writing at the same time, but I think it is worth a try at least.

    Adam,

    I would have done my experimenting in outline, so first draft is not much of an experiment.


    C R,

    I have worried about the same thing. But I think as long as there are ground rules, it might work. For example, not editing to perfection, but spending some time just fixing what I can, and then moving on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've tried this. I get nowhere but that's just me. This is my writing process: I hand-write, then type it up and as I type I change things and then I print it all out and then I edit the hard copy, then I type again. It's time consuming but I can't seem to type first. My creative juices flow with the pen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Palindrome,

    I am not sure if this would work for me or not. I have got some doubts, but I think it's worth a try for a cleaner draft.

    ReplyDelete