Friday 10 September 2010

Your Writing Journey: Guest Post - Effie Collins

Q: What do you write?

A: Horror, dark speculative fiction and poetry of many kinds.

Q: How long have you been writing?

A: Since childhood. I can't even remember a time in my life when I didn't make up stories.

Q: What got you started?

A: Reading and writing go hand in hand. My parents were both avid readers and my mother taught me to read when I was very young. I caught the reading bug and a drive to write came with it as naturally as fish swim in water.

Q: A Few important lessons you have learned along the way.

A: Never give up. I know it's cliched and cheesy, but it also happens to be true. You can't give up just because something isn't going right the first time.

You (the writer) are never critical enough with your own work. When I read something I've written, it always makes perfect sense to me. Of course it does... it came from my head. Always, always have someone read your work for you. It might sting at first, but your story will be better for it and you will become a better writer because of it.

There's always a different way to say the exact same thing. Just because you have a good sentence doesn't mean it's the very best sentence. Try reworking each sentence while you are in the revision process - you might come up with something better. Or shorter. Or more descriptive. The first way isn't always the right way. Except when it is, of course.

Q: What priority is writing in your life at the moment?

A: It's a top priority but I won't say that it's number one. I have a family and children, so they obviously come first. But it's way up there. Top three.

Q: Is it a hobby, career, potential career?

A: It's hard to say. It's really the only thing I've ever wanted to do with my life.

Q: Can you see yourself writing for the rest of your life, regardless of financial / popular success?

A: Absolutely. I'll always write, no matter my situation in life. I may write less at times, but it's as much a part of me as my lungs and I could never just stop. Why would anyone want to?

Additional comments: People tend to forget that writing is an art form, but writers are artistic people - and artistic minds need to be fed. Walk a lot, visit museums, read widely, surround yourself with art and beauty (though that beauty needn't be the traditional sort). Artists are inspired by the things around them and we are artists. Act accordingly.

3 comments:

  1. Great beginning to your guest post series, Dolly!

    I always love reading about other writers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview guys!!

    Good stuff. I agree about surrounding yourself with art and beauty.

    Great start, Dolly ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carol / Erica,

    Thanks :-) Yes, Effie did a fabulous post. I am really looking forward to this entire series.

    ReplyDelete