Tuesday 3 November 2009

Third Day of NaNoWriMo and How is it going?

Today was definitely the hardest. This morning I managed to write 600 words in the bus on my way to work, that was great. Gave me a very good feeling of productivity. Then, no time for writing during the day. And in the evening, at first I got distracted and then I was really tired. DVD itself didn't take long, so I had time to go for my word count, but just found it really really hard to focus. That's where the spreadsheet comes in handy. I had decided that I wanted to get to 15000 today. So I kept adding my word count to my overall total at every few hundred words. What this did was that everytime, it showed me a lower number that I needed to write to get to 15000. So I kept pushing myself, saying just a bit more. In the end, it came to 38 words more, and then 9 words more. This is the word count for my first three days: 1/11 = 8376 2/11 = 4361 3/11 = 2267 When I look at it, it looks like a downward trent, but of course I know that it isn't true. It's simply dependent on my circumstances. So I am definitely happy with my GRAND TOTAL OF 15004 words. between 65K to 70K left to write to finish the full first draft. Tomorrow's target: 2200

7 comments:

  1. Great progress. I like the method of subtraction; it makes it easier when you know you're almost to your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go! I am SO far behind you! ;) I am on target though so that's good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy Toledo! That is a fabulous word count!!! You are just amazing :)

    I love that you wrote 600 words on the bus!

    My piddly little number is envious of your enormous number :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't feel too bad, Wanderer. I made the mistake of changing where I was writing, so I barely managed a meager 300 words. Note to self, stick with what works. In any event, keep it up. You're still doing tons better than so many others of us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I feel pathetic. I wish I rode a bus instead of driving to work so I could write on the way to and from work. That would rock and totally jack up my word count!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tara,
    Yes substraction method especially works when I am having real hard time carrying on.

    Aimee,
    Congrats for staying on target. That's what matters.

    Erica,
    Finn is coming in real hadny for writing on the bus. It's quite amazing actually, because I have done it three times so far, and I have produced between 400 to 600 words in my 30-40 minutes journey. I think it's because there are no distractions. I have nothing to do except sit there and write.

    Eric,
    Definitely stick to what works, though I guess sometimes it's worth trying new things just in case they work better. Hope you are having fun with your NaNo.

    Kaity,
    No need to feel pathetic at all. I am sure you will meet your goals and that's what matters. Haha...you may wish for bus for writing, but not so fun waiting for them in freezing cold or worse, rain. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Day three was a tough one for me too--i think I had a crisis of faith. I ended up taking the day off after only 500 words just to think about the book, and then today got right back at it. Hugs and good luck!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete