Wednesday 14 December 2011

Bookshelf Snooping - Adam Slade

Many thanks to Adam Slade for divulging information about his bookshelf. You can find him at his blog Editing Hat. 

1. Your childhood favourite
Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett. I started reading the Pratchetts at 12 or 13, and I'm still buying them whenever a new one is released. The man is a genius.

2. Your current favourite 
Reaper Man by Terry Pratchett! Seriously, that book doesn't get old. My favourite of the year, though, would be Joe Abercrombie's First Law trilogy. Such incredible characters.

3. Your top five authors
Terry Pratchett, Joe Abercrombie, Jim Butcher, RA Salvatore (for his Drizzt series), and Scott Lynch (the Gentleman Bastards series). If it was top six, I'd include Stephen King, for his Dark Tower series, but since I don't read horror I don't like most of his stuff.

4. Book(s) you’re reading now
I'm currently reading Ketchup is a Vegetable by Robin O'Bryant, after being bullied into it by a friend. I'm glad they did. It's a non-fiction series of humorous essays about motherhood and parenting. Normally I don't read anything like it, but now Robin has me wanting to expand my horizons a little.

5. Book(s) you’ve pretended to read 
None. I don't pretend I've read something, and I'm honest if I don't like something. This has garnered me some funny looks (I couldn't stand Pride and Prejudice, and I'm not about to pretend otherwise), but I read for me, not for other people.

6. Book(s) you’ve bought for the cover
None. My books are always stored spine out, so there's no point. Anyway, it's the words that matter! :-)

7. Book you’re a champion for 
Any written by a friend. It's hard getting out there in the publishing industry, so I'm always willing to throw up a post/review/interview to help.

8. Book that changed your life
I've honestly never read a book that changed my life. For one thing, I almost exclusively read fantasy, so it's more escapist than mind-altering. The closest has been Joe Abercrombie's First Law books, which changed the way I write.

9. Book you most want to read again for the first time 
The entire Discworld series. I'd love to rediscover them as an adult, and see if my opinions changed.

10. Book you turn to for comfort 
Anything by a favourite author. That said, I don't reread something until a fair amount of time has passed (years). I dislike remembering plot points before they happen.

11. Favourite line from a book
I have a terrible memory for specific lines, and only two stick in my mind. "YES" from Reaper Man (it's said by a god, and Pratchett used a font the size of a paperback page for effect), and "I just have to wait for Jean to get here," from The Lies of Locke Lamora, which is used in a flashback then again later on in a crucial scene. VERY well done. :-)

18 comments:

  1. Woo-hoo for Pratchett! And Adam. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew there was something I liked about this guy. He likes the right sort of books. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Adam! You are so cool. I still haven't read Pratchett, but I keep hearing that I should.

    ReplyDelete
  4. He's a master of English humour. Well worth a read. :D

    Grab a used copy of one of his Discworld's. You'll be hooked. ;)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool!! Love to see in your mind, dude ;o) I agree, I don't pretend to read either!! Great post!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't thought about Discworld for years . . . I think I'll have to revisit it soon. :-)

    Great start to the guest post series, Dolly and Adam!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done my friend. I have read no Pratchet. Can you believe it?Let the shunning begin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Many thanks to my regular guest blogger :-)) And I love snooping with permission!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sammich - READ ONE!!! :D

    Dolly - Any time, delightful Dolly. ;-)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah another Abercrombie fan, great post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to give Pratchett another shot. I read one of the Discworld book many years ago, and didn't like it. Perhaps, years might have changed my view. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy him, Dolly! He's a huge inspiration to me. :)

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  13. One day I'll read a Terry Pratchett book!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And that will be a good day. :D

    Adam

    ReplyDelete