Monday 6 July 2009

Diary - Entry 10/15

4 June 1831
I wonder if I shall burn this sheet of paper like most others I have begun in the same way. To write a diary, I have thought of very often at far & near distances of time: but how could I write a diary without throwing upon paper my thoughts, all my thoughts - the thoughts of my heart as well as of my head? - and then how could I bear to look on them after they were written? Adam made fig leaves necessary for the mind, as well as for the body. And such a mind I have! So very exacting & exclusive & eager & headlong - & strong & so very very often wrong! Well! But I will write: I must write - & the oftener wrong I know myself to be, the less wrong I shall be in one thing - the less vain I shall be! -
~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning

No comments:

Post a Comment