Monday, 13 July 2009
The idea for this particular novel came to me about a year ago. I did a lot of planning, wrote random scenes. Last week, I decided to sort out my outline and start a proper first draft from scratch. Over the weekend I did the outline. When I thought I was almost done, I remember I had taken notes so got the notes out from mountains of books. Just looking at it, I was totally overwhelmed by the sheer amount of notes and various scenarios I had written. Somehow, over the year, I had forgotten just how much detail I had come up with. Anyway, managed to go through a lot of it, and the world came alive and kicking again in my head. So finally, today I have finished the outline at 6,951 words. It is by no means full of all details; there are still a few important things which will have to sort themselves out as I write, but at least now I think I have a consistent enough plot to properly start a first draft. I am excited and quite nervous, because this is the first methodical first-draft I am planning to write, as oppose to my usual haphazard methods. So hoping for the best....if this works then I might actually turn into an organised writer.